Thursday, September 6, 2012

Barbarella


It's been decades since I last saw the film Barbarella. I didn't remember much about it. This time, Mrs. Deathrage watched it with me, and by 'watched it with me' I mean she was asleep on the couch while I watched it. At about the three-quarter mark she briefly woke, and then exclaimed, "This is the worst movie I've ever seen.". I said that I doubted that, as she's slept though hundreds of bad movies and this couldn't be as bad as those. She then said, "The rhythm of the angel's wings as he flies bothers me and makes me feel weird.". Well, I can't really argue that point. It seems as though Pygar's wings couldn't possibly keep him aloft, let alone while he's carrying around Jane Fonda as she writhes and tousles her hair around suggestively. That's not really important right now. What is important is that Barbarella contains go-go boots, shag carpeting, silver lame capes, bitey dolls, and codpieces. Jane Fonda falls down a lot, gets captured repeatedly, becomes overly sweaty, and gets attacked by parakeets. That's all that really happens. There's a swingin' sixties soundtrack, and it might burrow into your brain and cause insanity which would probably be a relief. Overall, Barbarella is groovy and psychedelic and awful, but that shouldn't stop you from watching. I watched the influential cult film Barbarella on Netflix. Here's a trailer:


Oops, someone accidentally replaced the trailer for Barbarella with the trailer for the unwatchable Duran Duran concert film Arena, probably because the cast of Barbarella kept saying Durand Durand over and over again and it made me nervous. Let's try this again:


Oops, someone replace the trailer for Barbarella with a music video by the avant-garde electronica group Matmos, who take their name from the film Barbarella. Matmos is that vaguely threatening liquid substance seen in the film, and the music from the video was created with sounds from liposuction, so there's that.


There, finally! Was that so difficult? Anyway, Barbarella does her thing I guess, whatever that is, and someone says "Ring-a-dinger", and I have no idea what that means, so there you go.

1 comment:

  1. I sent you an email, but I don't think you're real. Don't be offended, I think most people are imaginary.

    ReplyDelete