Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Sarnos: A Life In Dirty Pictures


The influential sexploitation director Joe Sarno is outlined in this charming, funny documentary. Actually, the star of the film is his wife and collaborator Peggy Steffans, and I can only hope to be as much of a badass as she is when I am her age, but since I never age because I have a painting of me that no one is allowed to ever see that ages for me, that may never happen. Skinny-dipping in a Swedish lake, showing off her film memorabilia, and riding in Joe's vintage Volkswagen, at 76 years of age the outspoken and vivacious Peggy kicks a dozen different kind of ass. The Sarnos: A Life In Dirty Pictures isn't so much about the films the Sarnos made as it is about their tender, heartwarming relationship both on and off the camera. Still, there are plenty of clips from Sarno's grindhouse films and vintage footage of a much rougher, seedier Times Square.

Here's a not-so-great trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0HdBVkBkrs

No comments:

Post a Comment