Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hotel Torgo


Sorry for the infrequency of my reviews. I've been busy with two things. First, I've been doing a little landscaping; and by "doing" I mean I hired some landscapers, and by "hired" I mean forced and by "landscapers" I mean minions. And second, I've been doing P90X. Really. No quotations this time. I've been a sweaty, sloppy mess for over 3 weeks now. I know, it's surprising to me, too. I don't like physical activity of any sort, but the alternative of physical decrepitude is equally as unappealing.

So, I'm several reviews behind. I have Thor, Tim And Eric's Billion Dollar Movie, and Abraham Lincoln Vs. Zombies in my drafts, but they're not ready for publication. I know what you're going to say next, that "Even when you publish they're not ready for publication.", and that's hurtful and correct and not important right now. I also watched Eegah, Pumaman, Glen Or Glenda, and Manos: The Hands Of Fate again for fun (fun?), and I will publish those at a later date. I just learned today that a working print of Manos: The Hands Of Fate has been found, is being restored, and is going to be released on Blu-Ray this fall. This is very great news. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.manosinhd.com/

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_21221429

In the meantime, I watched a short documentary about the making of Manos: The Hands Of Fate featuring an interview with one of the last surviving members of the crew. My only criticism of Hotel Torgo would be that saying that the cast and crew died or disappeared under mysterious circumstances would be something that I would like to know more about. You can't just say something lurid and sensational like that and not have at least a couple of facts or anecdotes to back it up. According to the news article above; Jackey Nehman-Jones, the 7 year old actress who played Debbie, is still alive, and so is her father Tom Nehman, who played The Master. John Reynolds, who played Torgo, killed himself with a shotgun a month before the film's premiere in 1966. And Bernie Rosenblum is interviewed in Hotel Torgo. That's it. We need facts people. Anyway, I watched Hotel Torgo on Youtube.

There doesn't seem to be a trailer for Hotel Torgo, but here's a clip from Manos: The Hands Of Fate. It would be awesome to see this cleaned up and in Hi-Def. It'll still be terrible, but it will be in HD.


2 comments:

  1. Let me be the one to reveal the man behind the curtain, so to speak.

    The reason Hotel Torgo doesn't go into detail about the mysterious deaths and disappearances is because there weren't any. That bit of information in the documentary is very dishonest and misleading, especially when the producers knew of the other survivors.

    I made a short documentary-comedy of my own exploring the inaccuracy of Hotel Torgo. It's called Manhunt: The Search for Castmates.
    http://movievigilante.blogspot.ca/2012/12/manhunt-search-for-castmates.html

    ReplyDelete