Monday, November 4, 2013

Murders In The Rue Morgue


Even on the best day, my handwriting isn't great. Judging from my notes for Murders In The Rue Morgue, I didn't have a great day. My notepad is missing some pages, and most things written in it are mostly just illegible scrawl, so I'll do my best to sort out what my intentions were because I'm not watching this movie again. Here's my attempt to figure out what this movie is about and what I wrote in my notebook in the dark, half-asleep:

In the film Murders In The Rue Morgue, 19th century ladies lie upside-down on chaise lounges in complicated underpants and then get murdered by juleis (sic) wearing capes. Extravagantly costumed, thulen (sic). (I'm not sure what juleis are, and I'm not sure what a thulen is or why the sentence just stops there. Maybe if we keep going, we'll find out.)

The hat budget alone must have cost thousands, as everyone wears a 3-foot tall hat made of feathers at every opportunity. That's the 19th century for you. Anyway, between the capes, the hats, and the ape-man costumes. (Yes, the sentence just ends. There was supposed to be a joke there, obviously. Sadly, I don't recall what it is, because I scribbled the words gauzy nightgowns and can-can over it because that's exactly what needed to happen.)

People get acid splashed in their faces which instantly kills them, and people get buried alive which doesn't. I'm not sure, because I haven't priced a gouleia costume lately. (I have no idea what a gouleia could be. I think this could've been a funny joke, but the likelihood is that two pages that didn't intend to go together ended up accidentally creating some sort of Exquisite Corpse-like sentence. Still, the possibilities are intriguing.) Dream sequences, flashbacks and faintings. (Ah, I remember that were an awful lot of faintings in Murders In The Rue Morgue, but I really don't recall what everyone was fainting about. People fainted a lot in the 19th century. It could've been anything.)

And that's it. Maybe if we watch a trailer, we can figure out what all this was about.


Nope, I still don't know.



No comments:

Post a Comment