Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Virgin Among The Living Dead


I'm not really sure what A Virgin Among The Living Dead is about because the print I watched was in French with no subtitles. Here's what happened:

A girl visits a Gothic castle, then walks around in sheer underpants and no one seems to notice because this is a Jess Franco movie. Then a guy in a car mumbles, which the girl finds upsetting for some reason. Then a guy plays a piano, but I don't think he actually plays it because his arms are so flourishy. Then a similar girl pretends to smoke. Then a completely different girl suggestively strokes her lips with a feather. Everyone seems to stare off into the distance. I'm not sure why. Another girl sits in a chair and looks up. Again, I'm not sure why. She blinks occasionally.

A door is ajar, and it blows open and closed, which frightens the first girl who happens to be nude. The mumbly guy carries around a chicken head. I'm not sure why. Then another girl stares upward, and I realize I've lost count how many girls are in this movie. Saying that one of them is nude is definitely not helpful.

Then a girl who I assume is the very first girl takes a badly edited walk through the jungle while light samba plays on the soundtrack. She decides a skinny dip in a pond full of lily pads is a good idea, and creepy guys in need of some Grecian Formula look on. Then I accidentally nod off because this film is in French and very, very boring.

I awaken to the sight of two bloody nude girls with a pair of scissors engaged in some sort of unconvincing sapphic vampirism, and that's necessary because Jean Rollin co-directed this film. There's some dead bats, a guy hanging by his neck while blinking, and a severed hand on a table. I nod off again, and the movie is over. I'm assuming everyone learned a valuable lesson.


That's odd, but I don't recall seeing any of those things in the movie, which would have been somewhat thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment