Thursday, August 22, 2013

Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer


The life and work of the pioneering photographer is examined in this academic documentary. I was speaking with one of my minions this weekend, which is strange because I try not to speak to them, and remarked to it (even though I'm pretty sure it didn't ask) that I have seen 90 of AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies list. Some of the movies I missed are sort of embarrassing, and I'm not going into that right now. However, I found another 100 Best Movies list by Jonathan Rosenbaum that is a sort of contrary answer to the AFI's list.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/list-o-mania/Content?oid=896619

I have seen 14 of those films. Which 14 is not important right now, but I'm taking this list as a challenge. That's why I watched Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer. Who wouldn't want to watch a movie with a name like that?

Anyway, the film is almost entirely composed of prints of Muybridge's glass-plate negative photographs in sepia-tone accompanied by emotionless narration from Dead Stockwell. That's pretty much it, however the film was quite fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment