Friday, August 9, 2013

Lady Frankenstein



The legendary Joseph Cotten, star of Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Gaslight, Shadow Of A Doubt, and The Third Man stars in this horror film that certainly isn't as good as any of those films. Did you know Joseph Cotten appeared in 3 movies and 4 TV shows the year Lady Frankenstein was released? Neither did I! That's quite a track record. He certainly was busy in 1971. Upon reflection, maybe he should have been a little more selective, but a gig's a gig, I guess.

Anyway, Lady Frankenstein has all the usual Frankenstein elements plus some gauzy nightgowns, secret passageways, drippy incisions, brain transplants, coils and beakers, brains in jars, and Joseph Cotten's weird not-quite-European accent.

Near the end of the movie, Oldest Daughter Deathrage came downstairs because she apparently wanted to ruin my life and said so. She said, 'Dad, have you seen Rich Kids Of Instagram? It'll ruin your life'.

I don't really like having my life ruined, so I had to admit I hadn't seen the site. She went on to tell me that it's a site where rich kids post pictures of their rich lives. This bothered my daughter a great deal. She was shocked at the photos of teenagers having champaign parties on yachts and taking helicopter rides to the Hamptons and owning solid gold diamond-encrusted I-Phone5s.

Now I'm going to have to have a talk with my daughter and explain to her that we're wealthy because I don't think she knows. She believes we live in squalor because we don't have yachts or items gilded in gold. I don't like champaign, I like coffee. I don't like boats of any variety. I don't need to go to the Hamptons because I visited Cave City, Kentucky this summer and that was just as good. I don't eat fancy meals because I like tater tots. I don't need an enormous pool because I don't like to swim, and I don't throw parties because I don't like people. My family and I spend our wealth on extravagant footwear, Halloween-related craft items, and Junior Mints.


UPDATE: I think Oldest Daughter Deathrage is starting to get a clue, because she demanded to know where all the new running shoes and plastic decorative rats came from.



No comments:

Post a Comment