Monday, August 8, 2011

Paper Moon: A Good One #101


I've seen it several times, but my family had not. It's fantastic. Gorgeous black and white deep focus cinematography, a crackling script, and incredible acting all around, including an Oscar nominated role for Madeline Kahn and an Oscar winning role for Tatum O'Neal. Here's a clip. You're probably used to today's lightning fast, MTV-style editing, so let me remind you this is one long take and Tatum is 9 years old.



Or this clip, where Madeline Kahn adroitly skips through 14 different emotions as she bargains with a child, plus the magical blooper they left in at the end.



I watched it on Netflix. It wouldn't kill you to watch it, and you should.



2 comments:

  1. Paper Moon is one of my favorites. I saw it the first time when I was 7 or 8. About that time I also Savannah Smiles, which is a lovable but mostly unknown gem that has many parallels with Paper Moon. Definitely worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am familiar with Savannah Smiles. It was a common request at the video store where I worked for a brief time a million years ago.

    ReplyDelete