Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Blubberella






I'm very sorry I watched this film. I won't let it happen again. A self-aware revisionist WWII vampire comedy; Blubberella is racist, homophobic, offensive, infantile, repulsive and worst of all, laugh-free. There are Segways, sub sandwiches, thrown lunch meat, cotton candy, IKEA shopping bags, and various sausages. You'll also encounter blackface, unconvincing fight sequences, unconvincing accents, unconvincing CGI, shaky camerawork, and 'homages' to The Matrix, Precious, Inglourious Basterds and several other better films. Oh yeah, and slide whistle. Can't forget that. Scenes just seem to happen, and the script seems like it's missing several pages. It has a loose, improvised, one-take feel. There was a scene with a female vampire in a cage that was actually intriguing featuring cult favorite Clint Howard, but the film itself called it 'the boring part'. I'm assuming that was a joke, but it failed and made me sad. Was this the worst film I've ever seen? Not by a long shot, but that doesn't make it ok. I watched Blubberella (and just typing that makes me ill) on Netflix, and no one should.

There's no way I'm posting a clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment