Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure


Two unscrupulous young people record the drunken bickering of their tragic next door neighbors, the tapes become a worldwide 'phenomenon', and then everyone argues over the copyright in this well-made but creepy and stalkeriffic documentary. What begins with an intriguing premise soon descends into a dismal replay of the same clip of someone shouting "Shut up little man!" over and over again, the people on screen laugh at that, the shouting neighbors Pete and Ray drink themselves to death, we ultimately fail to learn anything substantial about them, and I scratch my head wondering what's funny about it. I learned more than I need to know about the uninteresting tapers who offer the last surviving neighbor a six-pack in halfhearted retribution in this unsympathetic, vain and joyless film, and became more and more angry as the film progressed. Maybe I have to listen to the tapes to get it? No, I'm pretty sure I get it, thanks. It's awful people doing awful things and everyone watches; sort of like Intervention, Hoarders, or 16 And Pregnant but no one's saved and it has higher production values. I watched Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure on Netflix and I feel bad about it, sort of, but it's always difficult to tell with me. Here's a trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment