Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Upsetter: The Art And Music Of Lee 'Scratch' Perry


The life of the legendary reggae producer is examined in this colorful documentary. Watching the preview for this film, Mrs. Deathrage says to me, "I just freakin' love reggae". I was quite surprised by this, as I've never actually heard her listen to a single note of reggae music in the 400 years we've been married. I wouldn't exactly call myself a reggae fan, but I own a couple of albums.


That tune is by Black Uhuru, and it doesn't really have anything to do with Lee 'Scratch' Perry. I just like it.


So yeah, that's the only album I have by The Upsetters. Anyway, so I said that I was surprised that my wife said she loved reggae, and I said I never heard her listen to any. So she said that she just really likes The Clash. I became even more confused, because I always thought that The Clash were a really great disco band.


I guess it's important to define your terms. So, The Upsetter: The Art And Music Of Lee 'Scratch' Perry is a fascinating look at the legendary producer; who produces some records, paints on everything, sets things on fire, and gets accosted by a Canadian. I enjoyed it.


*OK, so reading this review to my wife, she apparently takes issue with some parts of this story which may have been partially fabricated for comedic effect. She claims that she never equated The Clash with reggae, but that she saw The Clash once, and they played reggae music before the concert from speakers as tall as buildings, and reggae gives her a warm, nostalgic feeling. So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment