Monday, April 23, 2012

The Rum Diary


Johnny Depp mugs, scowls, winks, grimaces, and raises his eyebrows a lot in this film about a writer in Puerto Rico, all the while appearing to be a supporting actor in a film he stars in. I could be wrong. The Rum Diary is quirky for quirk's sake, tries way too hard, and it's a darn shame. The dialogue is quite good, but seems like it's written within an inch of its life and screams of being "based on a novel by Hunter S. Thompson". I was looking forward to this film, as I love Bruce Robinson's cult classic Withnail And I. This film is not Withnail And I. Not even for the briefest moment did I believe it was 1960, Amber Heard seems miscast, and the bathing suits bugged me. However, I did like the Corvette and the part where they take hallucinogenic eyedrops. Could've used more of that, but that would make this movie Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. This film is not Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. I was disappointed, and couldn't wait for The Rum Diary to end. Watch Withnail and I instead.

Here's a trailer. It's too long, but most trailers are. I pay-per-viewed The Rum Diary, and wish I hadn't. I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins in Tim Burton's take on Dark Shadows, and I probably shouldn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment