Friday, February 17, 2012

The Atomic Rulers Of The World






If I had known this was another of the Japanese Starman films, I wouldn't have watched it. Nah, who am I kidding? I would have.

After some atomic bomb footage and voiceover narration, the planet Saturn dangles from a string slowly drifting back and forth in the breeze in front of a painted backdrop of space as several people with robot heads raise their arms up and down. Suddenly, Starman appears on the tail of an airplane filled with people who look at one another suspiciously, and he fixes the rudder in the rain. Then he does a backflip and instantly changes into a suit and tie, because that sort of behavior often happens in these films. I'm not sure why.

There are several unconvincing fight scenes, several unconvincing flying scenes, an unlikely escape in a barrel, and an unconvincing fencing scene. It's all very confusing, has a creepy vibe, and doesn't make much sense. It's cheaply done and crudely executed, but kids in Japan in the distant past probably didn't mind that much. I watched The Atomic Rulers Of The World on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment