Friday, May 10, 2013

Detropia


The decline of Detroit is examined in this interesting documentary. I enjoy looking at rust, ruin and decay. While in Detroit last summer I visited The Heidelberg Project, where a couple of blocks of blighted houses has been turned into a large-scale folk art installation. If you're ever in Detroit, you must visit it. It's astounding.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/21166

Anyway, Detropia never thoroughly answers the question of how America can save Detroit. Do we bring back the auto industry to its former glory? Do we raze the empty factories and plant urban gardens? Do we rezone and repurpose the city? Is art its salvation? I don't know, but I do know they make a mighty fine coney dog in Detroit and the very best shawarma I've ever had I got from a vendor at the Taste of Detroit.


No comments:

Post a Comment