Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Holy Motors



A mysterious man is chauffeured around in his hoarder-limousine as he dresses up for various appointments in this challenging avant-garde film.

Well, I've been trying to make my way through a couple of lists of The 50 Weirdest Movies Ever...

http://flavorwire.com/476770/the-50-weirdest-movies-ever-made/view-all

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/at-the-movies/a494945/20-greatest-mindfk-movies-inception-donnie-darko-fight-club.html#~p2GmdwvmIWE1Kc

...because I'm all like, "Uh, yeah, right. I'm pretty weird, and I think I can handle it". Unfortunately, I'm now about a dozen reviews behind. Back to Holy Motors. It was pretty to look at, but I found it to be rather meh. Denis Lavant gives a tour de force performance, while Leos Carax directs a smug, jokey script in a forced, look-at-me-I'm-avant-garde manner. There were a few eyebrow-raising moments, particularly the motion-capture scene, but the chimps and the talking cars elicited eye-rolls instead. I wanted to like it more than I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment