Tuesday, July 3, 2012

National Lampoon's Vacation


One of my children came home from college over the weekend, and in preparation for an upcoming road trip I decided to show her the classic summer film Vacation. She was less than impressed. She rolled her eyes and said "It was interesting." in that way that she does when I do something that old people do. That's fine.

I've been looking at Yahoo Maps to try and figure out how the Griswold's got lost in East St. Louis. It's a mystery. It was daytime when they arrived downtown near Memorial Drive heading west on 70, so that means they had to double back east-bound then head south and arrive there at night 2 miles away. Maybe they stopped at the Wax Museum at Laclede's Landing or grabbed a pizza and some toasted ravioli from Imo's or went in search of a gooey butter cake and that footage ended up on the cutting room floor. I don't know, but that's what I would have done.

Anyway, since I'm old and a dad and I often go on road trips, I can relate to poor Clark Griswold. I'm often in search of gigantic balls of string or houses made of mud. That's why you go on road trips.

I watched National Lampoon's Vacation on pay-per-view. Here's a trailer:


2 comments:

  1. "That's the Mississippi, the mighty Miss, the old miss, the old man..."

    Chevy Chase is so good in that movie, it's scary.

    "DON'T TOUCH!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still holds up well after all these years.

    ReplyDelete