Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Source Family


I was surprisingly annoyed by the film The Source Family. I was expecting a rambling, incoherent documentary about gullible hippies doing culty things while kicking out some rambling, incoherent, psychedelic jams. Unfortunately, The Source Family turned out to be a rather well-constructed documentary about gullible hippies doing culty things with very few rambling, incoherent, psychedelic jams AND a very brief, rambling, incoherent interview segment with Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan, and I suddenly realized that I'm often annoyed by hippies and Smashing Pumpkins. I always thought that Smashing Pumpkins could have been one of the greatest rock bands ever if they just got rid of the frontman, but that's not important right now. I was hoping for a lot more freaked-out Source Family music, but didn't really get it.


What you do get in The Source Family are culty robes, communey gowns, extravagant headwear, awkward nudity, unfortunate polygamy, and VW buses.


No comments:

Post a Comment