Friday, February 4, 2011

The Lady Vanishes: A Good One #18





I had no intention of watching or reviewing this film. I've seen it so many times. But I was just killing time before bed, it was late, and I didn't want to invest in a full length movie. Plus, the artwork on Netflix screamed cut-out bin, and considering the film is in the public domain, there's no telling what print you'll get, and I was curious. The print is crisp, beautiful and crystalline, and I ended up watching the whole thing again. I believe it's his first masterpiece and gets better with each viewing. It's funny and political and nuanced and suspenseful and thrilling. Do I have to spell out the plot for you? OK, boy and girl meet in a crowded European hotel after an avalanche. Intrigue happens. Look, if I say more I'll spill it all, so just watch it, and watch it at least twice.

2 comments:

  1. Check out Foreign Correspondent if you haven't. It's not perfect, in fact, the little girl's phonetic Dutch has always bothered me, but it's still great.

    ReplyDelete