Monday, July 29, 2013

Yokai Monsters Spook Warfare


I'd forgotten that I left the DVDs for Executive Koala and Calamari Wrestler in my Amazon shopping cart. I know! How could I let a thing like that happen?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

So now I'm sitting by the mailbox in the lobby of Deathrage Towers waiting for the DVDs to arrive. I have no idea how things end up in my mailbox, so it'll be interesting to see how this scenario plays out. Does someone actually put the package in the mailbox, or does it just appear there magically? Beats the heck out of me. I'm assuming it's witchcraft. Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb and and attribute this supernatural event to a magical imp. It's the only reasonable explanation.

Speaking of magical imps, I watched Yokai Monsters Spook Warfare. This title appeared at the bottom of my Amazon shopping cart, and it was magically suggested by some wacky person at Amazon who likes both Executive Koala and Calamari Wrestler. I can only assume the person at Amazon who likes all three of these movies is an oversized sport-loving crustacean, a murderous marsupial, or a magical Japanese imp. It's the only reasonable explanation.

Anyway, back to the movie. Someone digs up a sword, then a storm full of monsters appears. During this supernatural storm, a samurai battles a blood-sucking monster who has a magical, dragon-headed weapon that shoots fire out of its mouth. Strange monsters and ghosts materialize amidst the reeds. Candles are lit, knives are drawn, incantations are chanted, and fires blaze. It's pretty bad-ass. Did I mention this is a film for children? I can only assume Japanese children of 1968 were a lot tougher than wussy American children of now.

I was awfully bothered by the comic relief provided by a water imp that appears in the movie because it seemed sort of Jar Jar Binks-esque, but I got over it fairly quickly. I think I enjoyed Yokai Monsters Spook Warfare. If I were you, I would probably not show this film to small children. It is fairly dark and filled with nightmare fodder like blood-drinking, sword-fighting, ghosts, and monsters with unusually large heads.





No comments:

Post a Comment