Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Navy Vs. The Night Monsters


As the title suggests, the Navy battles the Night Monsters in this almost night monster-free film. After some voiceover narration about Antarctica, pilots eat cheese sandwiches before scientists get blown out the door of the plane. I don't think the sandwiches had anything to do with it, even though they were cut in a suspicious diagonal fashion. Then a navy scientist finds a big grungy smear on the floor of the plane; and like any scientist worth his salt, he gives it a good sniff. That seems fine. A short time later, his commanding officer smells it as well. I'm not a scientist, but I'm sure grungy smear sniffing is an important part of the scientific method. A fistfight involving a guy in a red cardigan happens for some reason. Even though that's a questionable apparel choice I don't think it has to come to fisticuffs. Sadly, this fistfight results in some very shaky camerawork. Bobby Van talks to a small yapping dog, and for a moment I wonder if this is an episode of Lassie. It isn't. During a chaste love scene where someone needs a cigarette after a 3 second kiss, someone's burned by acid. It's not as good as it sounds. Finally, the Night Monster appears. It's hidden by foliage, so I'm not sure. A foreboding oboe plays, so it must be. Or it could be a ficus.

I watched The Navy Vs. The Night Monsters on Youtube, and it wasn't very good. Mamie Van Doren's in it, but she doesn't do much. Here's a trailer:


2 comments:

  1. I have nothing to say about this since I've never seen it but I haven't left you a comment for ages. Cheese sandwiches, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. They get their choice of cheeses, which I think is nice for a Navy cargo airplane trip from Antarctica. Southwest Airlines only gives you peanuts.

    ReplyDelete